Matt Diggity dives into the tF-IDF analysis trend and tests out a few tools in this area in detail. This just might be the edge you are looking for, for your on page SEO optimization.
We've curated a list of the top SEO articles published in the last 12 months. If you have not read them yet, we suggest you drop everything else and read them right away. We will be continously adding articles to this list with the latest articles at the top, so do check by frequently.
This is a podcast by Dan Shure interviewing guest Aysun Akarsu on Crawl Optimization. Some really good insights from this episode such as how the communication between SEOs and Developers is important and useful tips on crawling gigantic sites.
Saijo George explains how to use Chrome dev tools for some technical SEO tasks like switching location using sensors, viewing HTTP headers, identifying dead code and more.
Tom Anthony explains how HTTP/2 works and what it means for SEOs to improve Page Speed and the user experience. This is a well-written article that explains advanced technical concepts (HTTP v/s HTTPs v/s HTTP/2) using a simple truck and road analogy.
Cyrus Shepard lists down and explains 100+ SEO Success Factors in this huge guide. Note that unlike other guides on the same topic he lists down only the ranking factors that are actionable and can be directly changed to improve your ranking visibility and traffic.
AJ Kohn writes about why he things EAT had nothing to do with the August 1st update (Medic update). He writes about NLU (Natural Language Understanding) and why he thinks that the recent updates were changes on how Google understands the meaning of words.
Russ Jones did a comparison study on keyword volume accuracy between three top SEO tools - Moz, Ahrefs, and SEMrush. Moz outperformed the other two and Russ believes this is because Moz uses JumpShot's clickstream data and has a better predictive model for volume.
Dan Petrovic writes about the experiment he did with out-ranking content on Google scholar using their duplicate content and a little know factor called Link Inversion in Caffeine. Link Inversion is when inbound links to duplicate content are inverted back towards the canonical URL.
Promoted Listing: SEO Minion is a free chrome extension created by us
Tom Rayner shows us how he predicted the future latent intent in keywords for a client in the financial tech space and through a bold and risky move, updated their On-Page content to match this prediction. This resulted in a massive organic traffic increase for the client.
Aleyda Solis details a 6 step process to ensure that you have a correct hreflang implementation. This is especially important for multi-lingual or multi-country websites to have Google recognize their relevant audience.
Marie Haynes discusses her thoughts on the August 1st, 2018 Google algorithm update (also called the Medic update), why she believes expertise, authority, and trust (EAT) were important factors in this update and gives suggestions on what you can do if you were hit by this update.
Barry Adam writes an interesting article on why he thinks AMP puts too much power in the hands of Google and why it's bad for publishers to give away too much control of their website content to Google.
Published by Justin Briggs introduces Natural Language Processing (NLP) and discusses ways to improve On-Page SEO for NLP considering the limitation of Google's NLP parsers. The article looks useful for optimizing content especially for getting featured snippets. on briggsby.com
Bill Slawski has been blogging about Google's patents since 2005. Based on his patent research for the last 5 years, he has created a huge and detailed list of signals that Google's ranking algorithm looks at. He also includes suggestions and actionable items that can help you rank better.
Using clickstream data from JumpShot, Rand Fishkin writes about how Google's organic and paid CTRs have changed from 2015 to 2018, how CTR has steadily dropped on the mobile, as Google tries to satisfy more queries without a click, and why total SEO opportunity on mobiles might be falling even though the total number of searches has been increasing steadily.
John Doherty has written a detailed, beginner guide to SEO for SaaS companies. This is an excellent guide for SaaS practitioners, as John has written each chapter with examples relevant only to SaaS companies.
Glen Allsop lists 25 ways to write content that will attract links. The examples in this article are useful to look at for inspiration as well as to know whether the content you are going to create will pick the links you hope it does.
Tom Anthony received a handsome bug bounty from Google for an exploit that helped him rank for high-value money terms. He writes about this exploit that will give you insight into how Google indexes sitemaps, how they followed an open redirect URL to pass link equity from one site to another fake domain. This is easily one of the best SEO articles of 2018.
Gianluca Fiorelli explains the basics of hreflangs, the most common scenarios for using them, common mistakes SEOs make while implementing it and the doubts they invariably have, as well as actual implementation details in this detailed article.
Brian Dean shares some interesting learnings from a study done on Voice Search - like how Page Speed, SSL certificates, language grade level and social engagements seem to improve the chances of a website ranking for voice searches.
Recently Added SEO Articles
- TF*IDF for SEO: Test Results and Tool Comparison (diggitymarketing.com)
- Crawl Optimization & how to do crawl first SEO w/Aysun Akarsu (evolvingseo.com)
- Getting the Most out of Google Chrome for Technical SEO (trafficthinktank.com)
- An introduction to HTTP/2 for SEOs (distilled.net)
- 100+ Google SEO Success Factors, Ranked (zyppy.com)
- Algorithm analysis in the age of embeddings (blindfiveyearold.com)
- Keyword Volume Relational Accuracy (thegooglecache.com)
- Link inversion, the least known major ranking factor (dejanseo.com.au)
- SEO Minion - Free chrome extension to help you with your daily SEO Tasks (seominion.com)
- How I Increased Organic Revenue By EUR 850,000+ By Predicting A Keyword's Future Latent Intent (raynernomics.com)
- Avoiding Hreflang Issues by Following a 6 Steps Implementation Process (aleydasolis.com)
- The August 1, 2018 Google Update strongly affected YMYL sites. (mariehaynes.com)
- Google AMP Can Go To Hell (polemicdigital.com)
- On-page SEO for NLP (briggsby.com)
- Five Years of Google Ranking Signals (seobythesea.com)
- New Data: How Google's Organic & Paid CTRs Have Changed 2015-2018 (sparktoro.com)
- The SaaS Guide to Search Engine Optimization (SEO) (getcredo.com)
- Content Marketing for SEO: 25 Proven Angles That Still Attract Links (detailed.com)
- Google bug bounty for security exploit that influences search results (tomanthony.co.uk)
- How to use Hreflang correctly (2018 edition) (iloveseo.net)
- We Analyzed 10,000 Google Home Results. Here's What We Learned About Voice Search SEO (backlinko.com)